No Meat Monday is a campaign which aims to create awareness of the detrimental effects animal agriculture and industrial fishing are having on our environment.
Launched by Paul, Mary and Stella McCartney over 10 years ago, the idea behind no meat Monday is that if everyone cut meat out of their diet for just one day a week it would have enormous benefits for our environment and our future.
By choosing a plant-based diet for but one single day we improve our health, slow climate change, and conserve precious natural resources.
This, of course, could only work if there was a delicious plant-based alternative available that could provide all the nutrients from meat and taste great too with a range of other benefits too. Thankfully there is.
Hemp Burger Solution
A hemp burger is made with the hulled seeds of the hemp plant along with other plant-based ingredients. Hemp is the ideal substitute for meat as it is incredibly high in protein (30%), fibre, vitamins, minerals, as well as having a perfect ratio of essential fatty acids omega 3 and 6.
Hemp burgers are highly nutritious and delicious and are the perfect alternative to meat-based burgers. Here is a simple hemp burger recipe you can make at home:
Hemp Burger Recipe
Here is a simple and delicious recipe to make your own Meat Free Monday hemp burger.
Prep Time: 15 minutes. Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- 500g sweet potatoes
- 1 cup hulled hemp seeds
- 1 medium leek trimmed and diced
- 3 spring onions trimmed and diced
- 1 large carrot trimmed and diced
- ½ cup fresh parsley
- 1 ½ tsp garlic powder
- ⅓ cup bread crumbs
- 2-3 Tbsp coconut oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Fill a medium-sized pot halfway with water and place on the boil.
- Chop the potatoes into medium-sized pieces and place them in the pot for 10-15 minutes or until tender.
- While waiting for the potatoes to cook begin preparing your vegetables.
- Once the potatoes are tender, drain them and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Mash the potatoes, then add the hemp seeds, garlic, salt and pepper and mix.
- Place all the vegetables and parsley into the bowl and mix.
- Add the breadcrumbs until the mixture’s consistency sticks together.
- Take some mixture and shape into a burger.
- Place pan on the cooker and melt 1 tablespoon of coconut oil on high heat.
- Place burgers on the pan for 3 minutes each side or until golden brown.
- Serve with burger bun and dressing of choice.