Protein bars are a convenient source of much-needed post-workout nutrition but with a lot of unrecognisable ingredients in most commercial products, should you consider making your own?
Additives, preservatives, and a whole host of unpronounceable ingredients are pumped into ‘healthy' protein bars to make them taste better and last longer, leading many people to search for a healthier alternative.
An abundance of easy to make and simple recipes have led health-conscious fitness fanatics to try their hands at whipping up their own pre- and post-workout snacks.
Benefits of homemade CBD protein bars
With homemade CBD protein bars, you are in complete control of what ingredients go into them. You can easily alter the recipe by lowering or increasing certain foods to match individual nutritional requirements.
Benefits of CBD
By adding drops of CBD oil into the mix you not only receive a whole host of varying medicinal properties but, more specifically in terms of fitness, it may help:
- Lower inflammation on tired muscles
- Lower sensation of pain
- Help shed excess weight
- Reduce DOMS
- Help stop muscle degeneration
Benefits of protein
Exercise, while incredible and necessary, is still a stress on the body that tears muscles in order to promote growth. Post-exercise it is vitally important to have a healthy source of protein to:
- Rebuild muscle
- Repair muscle
- Create hormones, enzymes & other body chemicals
- Help maintain bones, cartilage, skin, & blood
The great thing about CBD protein bars is that the ingredients can be swapped with other ingredients if needs must. Substitute any oats, nuts, or grains for a similar one and you will end up with a slight variation of this delicious recipe.
- 2 cups of oats
- ½ cup of peanut butter
- 1 cup Hemp seeds
- 100 mg of CBD oil (alter as needed)
- ¼ cup chopped almonds
- 1 cup dried cranberries (raspberries or raisins)
- ½ tablespoon cinnamon
- ½ cup of honey
- ½ cup hemp seed milk (or almond milk)
- 1 cup dark chocolate
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Large bowl
- 1 medium pan
- 1 rectangular cake pan (or similar)
- 1 large stirring spoon/spatula
- Add the oats, cinnamon, hemp seeds, almonds, and dried cranberries into the large bowl and mix together with a spoon/spatula.
- Using the small pot add in the peanut butter, honey, hemp seed milk, and dark chocolate.
- Place the pan on a low heat for a few minutes stirring continuously.
- Keep stirring the mixture until it resembles a soft paste.
- Remove from the heat, add the CBD oil and stir.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture bowl and mix together evenly
- Pour mixture into a glass tray.
- Place in fridge for 30 minutes
- Remove when set, cut into even slices and enjoy.
Commercial protein bars can contain unwanted ingredients whereas when you make your own you are in complete control of what goes into the bar and ultimately your body.
This CBD protein bar recipe is a nutritious and delicious healthy option, packed full of protein, fibre, and other essential nutrients for anyone working out.
CBD content can be adjusted to suit individual dosing requirements.