Picture this – there’s a cool breeze and you’re wrapped up nice and cosy in thick knits. The trees show an array of burnt oranges and deep reds, and the ground is littered with leaves that crunch underfoot. Windowsills and doorsteps are home to pumpkin displays that wouldn’t look out of place on the set of Gilmore Girls. But you’re missing one thing. The perfect pumpkin spice latte recipe!
Not a Cult Follower of the Iconic PSL? We’ll Spill the Tea
Whether you call it “spooky szn” or “sweater weather“, one thing is for sure – autumn is synonymous with the beloved beverage. The humble pumpkin spice latte first graced us with its presence back in January 2003 and since then it has been our favourite coffee order during the colder months.
But how popular could a caffeinated beverage really be? In its first 10 years on the market, Starbucks sold more than 200 million PSLs even though they’re only available for 4 months of the year. Rather impressively, the official Twitter account for the drink has also garnered almost 100k followers. What can we say? We eagerly await the day that it’s available to buy every year!
According to legend, it took Starbucks recipe developers almost 3 months of testing before they settled on the drink that we all know and love today. Don’t worry, our recipe won’t take that long to make though.
If the original PSL is so iconic why would you want to make it at home? Well, with more of us working from home these days, having a recipe to hand is a lot more convenient. Another benefit of the homemade pumpkin spice latte is that you can add CBD to it! We just love a fun, CBD-infused recipe around here.
It’s Pumpkin Spice Latte Recipe Season
Because one is never going to be enough, we decided to break our pumpkin spice latte recipe into two parts. Firstly, you’ll be making the syrup and then you’ll be making the coffee. That way you can store the syrup and use it throughout the week, rather than making it fresh every day!
What Is CBD Coffee And The Top Brands Who Sell It?
To Make the Syrup You’ll Need…
- 50 g light brown soft sugar
- 200 g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp canned pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 125 ml water
- You’ll be surprised how easy it is to make this syrup. Simply grab a small saucepan and chuck in all of the above ingredients.
- Heat everything over medium heat until the sugar dissolves, this should take 5-10 minutes. You can use a wooden spoon or whisk to stir all of the spices to make sure they’re fully incorporated.
- Take a moment to appreciate how amazing this smells – that is the smell of autumn right there!
- When the mixture has formed into a thin syrup, you can remove it from the heat. Remember, it will thicken up as it comes to room temperature.
- When it’s cool, you can transfer it to a clean jar with a lid.
When Your Syrup Is Ready to Go, It’s Time for the Latte Part of the Pumpkin Spice Latte Recipe
There are a couple of ways to make CBD-infused coffee. Some people like to add oils or tinctures to their coffee, but it can be a bit tricky. If not done correctly, the oil can separate and rise to the top of your coffee. This will give your PSL a slightly oily texture, not exactly what we had in mind.
Luckily, you can use ready-made CBD-infused coffee like this one from Canndid! Because the CBD is already in the coffee, you don’t have to worry about oily textures or measuring dosages.
This particular coffee is perfect for our pumpkin spice latte recipe because its full-bodied, sweet yet nutty flavour pairs nicely with our autumnal spices. One sip of this will have you ready for bonfires and pumpkin carving, we promise.
This coffee also comes ready ground so no need to faff about with a grinder. Simply load a shot into your coffee machine and use it like you usually would. Alternatively, you can use it in a percolator if you prefer.
It’s worth noting that this coffee is also suitable for use with a French press, but for this recipe, you want an espresso shot or two. Then we’ll be adding steamed milk to it.
If you want to try our CBD-spiked pumpkin spice latte recipe but you want to use de-caf coffee, fear not! Canndid also has a delicious de-caf coffee option. This coffee is also infused with high quality, broad-spectrum CBD so you're not missing out on anything.
Better Latte Than Never…
When you have your shot loaded, we suggest adding the desired amount of syrup in the end of the cup, before you pour the shot into it. This is because the hot coffee shot will help the syrup to melt as it pours into the cup, making it easier to mix!
When you have the pumpkin spice espresso ready, you can move onto the milk.
- Fill your metal jug ⅓ of the way full of your favourite milk. We suggest using barista oat milk as it’s super thick and creamy. Hemp milk is also great with this pumpkin spice latte recipe!
- Keeping the steam arm over the drip tray, turn it on for a couple of seconds. This makes sure it’s clean and hot.
- Next, you can move the steam arm towards you, pop it into the jug and turn it on. Keep the arm at the bottom of the jug and angled at a 45-degree angle so that the steam creates a swirling motion in the milk.
- As the milk warms, slowly move the jug down, bringing the steam arm towards the top of the milk.
- Hold the steam arm just under the surface for the final few seconds to create a thin layer of foam on the top. When the jug is hot to touch, count to 5 and then turn off the steam.
- Remove the jug from under the arm. Wipe down the steam arm with a damp cloth and angle it over the drop tray again. Turn it on for a couple of seconds when you’re finished to remove any milk from the streamer.
- Next, you’ll want to remove any unwanted bubbles from the milk – smooth, creamy milk is key for the perfect latte. Gently tap the jug on the surface of the table to remove any bubbles.
- Then, keeping the bottom of the jug on the table, gently swirl the milk in a circular motion – this will help to create a glossy finish on the milk.
- Begin by slowly pouring the milk into the cup, moving the jug in circular motions around the inside edge of the cup. When you have almost finished pouring, pause for a moment to let the milk settle. Then start pouring again, moving the jug into the centre of the cup whilst wiggling it from side to side – this will create a little leaf design on the top.
Add a Little Spice
There you have it – the perfect CBD-spiked pumpkin spice latte recipe that you can make at home! If you really want to get the whole Starbucks experience at home, you can use vegan whipped cream in a can.
All you have to do is add a swirl of whipped cream and top it off with a drizzle of caramel sauce. You can use the caramel sauce recipe that we used for our vegan-friendly CBD-infused ice cream recipe.
We love seeing you try our recipes! If you're giving our CBD-spiked pumpkin spice latte recipe be sure to share it on Instagram and tag us. You can find us right here.