In May 2019, Ben & Jerry’s got our hopes up when they announced that they had plans to make CBD-infused ice cream. And yet, it’s 2021 and here we are CBD ice cream-less! Luckily, Candid are here to save the day with our exclusive CBD ice cream recipes that you can make in the comfort of your own home. And they’re vegan-friendly so everyone can enjoy them.
One of the best things about making CBD ice cream at home is that you can totally customise your creation to your taste. For example, you can include exactly how much CBD you’d like. Therefore, you’re free to tailor your desserts to your personal needs.
Similarly, you can customise the recipes to suit your taste buds. If you’re a fan of super salted caramel ice cream, chuck in some extra salt! You have total freedom to mix and match flavour combinations to your heart's content.
What is CBD-infused ice cream and how does it work?
CBD oil ice cream is exactly the same as normal ice cream, except it has CBD extract infused into it! So you’re getting all of the deliciousness of regular ice cream and the benefits associated with CBD.
CBD-infused ice cream works in the same way as any other edible forms of CBD. Edibles are simply ingested, as normal, and the body slowly absorbs the CBD content as the edibles are broken down by the digestive system.
One of the joys of opting for edible forms of CBD is that they have a slow and steady release. This means that you can enjoy the benefits of CBD over the course of a couple of hours, rather than all at once. In contrast, other forms of CBD, like vape liquids or oral sprays, tend to offer fast release effects that don’t last as long.
When we ingest CBD, over time, it enters our bloodstream, where it is transported around our bodies. There it can interact with receptors that we have throughout our muscles. Experts believe that these receptors are connected to the endocannabinoid system (ECS). This system is responsible for regulating things like our appetite, immune responses, sleep cycles, pain perceptions, and even our body temperature. Pretty cool, right?
That’s why so many people love CBD – it’s incredibly versatile. Some people love including it in their daily routine because they feel it helps reduce feelings of stress, others love it because it helps them manage pain.
Whatever your reason for choosing it, CBD has a multitude of potential benefits, all of which you can enjoy by opting for CBD ice cream… and did we mention that it’s delicious?
CBD Ice Cream Classics: Vanilla Flavour
Who doesn’t love vanilla ice cream? We can’t go to the seaside without picking up a scoop of vanilla ice cream on a cone, complete with sprinkles and a flake. It’s also the perfect accompaniment for classic desserts like apple crumble and chocolate fudge brownies. Hence, we thought it would be a good place to start with our CBD ice cream recipes!
Our vanilla CBD ice cream is vegan-friendly, and it’s a really good base for adding other flavours. So, once you’ve gotten the hang of it, you can experiment with adding other ingredients to shake things up.
You will need:
A freezer-proof container, a large mixing bowl, a saucepan, a whisk (preferably an electric whisk – your wrists will thank you), and a small microwave-proof bowl.
What ingredients do I need?
To make this recipe, we have stuck with everyday ingredients that you will be able to find in any well-stocked grocery store. No one likes running to multiple shops!
- 400ml / 1 tin of coconut milk
- 400 ml/ 1 tin coconut cream
- ½ cup maple syrup/ agave syrup
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp CBD oil (or your preferred amount)
To make your vanilla ice cream with CBD:
- Add your coconut oil to the microwave-proof bowl along with your CBD oil. CBD oil is fat-soluble so this will make it easier to add to the ice cream, and it will help your body absorb it too.
- Pop the oils into the microwave for a couple of seconds. It doesn’t take a lot of heat for coconut oil to melt, and we don’t need it to be hot, so a couple of seconds should do the trick.
- Next, you’ll need to grab a mixing bowl. Rigorously shake the tin of coconut milk and add approx. ½ of the tin into a mixing bowl. Then you can add the coconut oil/CBD oil mixture, and sieve in the cornstarch.
- Mix these ingredients together until fully combined, and set to the side. We’ll come back to it later.
- Now, you need to get your saucepan. Pour in the rest of the coconut milk, and heat over medium-low heat. Gradually add coconut milk, salt, and maple syrup whilst stirring constantly.
- You should gently stir the mixture until everything dissolves nicely.
- Now, it’s time to add the cornstarch mixture. You will want to do this gradually, whilst constantly whisking to avoid clumps.
- When all of the ingredients have been incorporated, you can turn up the heat. We want to get the mixture to thicken, but we don’t want it to boil.
- After 5-8 minutes remove the pan from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Set the mixture aside until it comes to room temperature.
- Then, you can pour it into a freezer-safe container. We recommend opting for a bowl-like container with high sides, as you will be whisking the mixture, and we don’t want to spend too much time cleaning ice cream off the walls!
- Pop the mixture into the freezer for approximately 5 hours. Every hour you will need to remove the container and whisk it. This incorporates air and gives it a lovely fluffy texture.
Once you have done this 5 or so times, you can leave the mixture to set overnight.
Serve and enjoy!
Salted Caramel CBD Ice Cream
Now that you’ve gotten the hang of the basics, you’re free to experiment with different flavours and combinations. We thought you might need a little inspiration, so we’d like to share our favourite salted caramel CBD ice cream recipe (vegan-friendly of course).
This salted caramel ice cream is the perfect balance of saltiness and sweetness that will leave you wanting more every single time. It’s a no-fuss recipe that is ideal if you’re hosting a summer garden party or movie night – it’s delicious and you can make it the night before!
For this recipe, you’ll need to make some vegan caramel sauce. Don’t worry – it’s not as hard as it might sound. You actually only need 3 ingredients, and about 5 minutes.
You’ll only need a small amount of caramel sauce for the ice cream, but we figured you might want some to drizzle over the ice cream when serving, so this recipe makes more than what is needed. However, you can store it in the fridge for up to a week – simply stir before serving.
For your vegan caramel sauce you will need:
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
To make the sauce:
- Add the ingredients to a small saucepan and heat on medium-high heat.
- Stir the mixture constantly until the coconut cream melts and the sugar is dissolved.
- Turn up the heat so that you bring the mixture to boil, constantly stirring.
- You should notice a heavenly aroma coming from the pot, whilst it starts to bubble away.
- After a couple of minutes, you can lower the heat for another 5 minutes or so, making sure all of the ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
- The mixture will begin to thicken and when you’re happy with the consistency, you can remove it from the heat and set it aside. Just remember that the sauce will become thicker as it cools.
Okay, now that our sauce is ready and cooling, we can get back to our CBD ice cream.
For this you will need:
- 50 mg of your vegan caramel sauce
- 1 ½ cup softened Medjool dates, pitted
- 2 tins of coconut milk (800 ml in total)
- ½ cup nut butter (we love pecan butter)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- CBD oil of your choice, personally we like this one
To Make The Ice Cream:
Although this part of the recipe doesn’t require any cooking, you will need a blender to blend all of the ingredients together. When you have all of your ingredients measured, it’s time to get blending.
- Add all of the ingredients, except the caramel sauce, to the blender and blend until smooth. Then pop in the caramel sauce and pulse a couple of times to make sure it’s well mixed in.
- Next, pour the mixture into a freezer-safe container. Again, we recommend using a container with high sides as you will be whisking.
- Pop the container into the fridge for 4-5 hours, taking it out every hour to whisk it. As we know, this will incorporate air into the CBD ice cream to make sure it’s light and fluffy in texture.
- Leave the CBD ice cream to set overnight before serving.
- If the ice cream is too hard to scoop, simply pop your scooper into a mug of boiling water to heat it. This will help it glide through the ice cream with ease, but be careful as the handle may be hot to touch.
- Drizzle the ice cream with the remainder of your caramel sauce and serve.
Go Forth And Enjoy!
And there you have it, two very simple recipes for CBD ice cream that you can whip up whenever you have a craving for something sweet. Opting for CBD ice cream is the perfect way to indulge oneself whilst getting all of the potential ingredients associated with CBD. Enjoy!