Just because you’re doing Dry January doesn’t mean that you can’t enjoy some seriously tasty tipples. All you need is a little imagination – and some CBD.
The key to making CBD-infused drinks is using strong flavours to offset the natural bitterness of hemp extract. Whilst there are an increasing number of bars around that serve CBD food and drinks, we’ve lined up three delicious mocktails to make this Dry January, spiked with calming CBD so you’ll barely miss the alcohol.
Virgin Hot Toddy with CBD
Skip the whiskey with this virgin hot toddy this January, and warm up from the inside out! This recipe makes one cup, so adjust as needed depending on how many servings you’re making.
What You’ll Need:
- 125ml organic cloudy apple juice
- 250ml water
- 6 cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- ½ teaspoon CBD
- Squeeze of lemon
- Honey to taste
- Put the water and apple juice into a pan and bring to a simmer over medium heat, covered with a lid.
- Once simmering, add the grated ginger, cloves and cinnamon for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add your CBD, allowing to stand for 5 minutes with the lid on.
- Strain the mixture into a cup or mug, adding a squeeze of lemon and honey to taste.
- Sit down, kick back and enjoy!
CBD Grapefruit Mocktail
This refreshing citrus mocktail will give you a much-needed boost of vitamin C to keep winter sniffles at bay. This recipe makes two servings, so you can share with a friend or refrigerate for later.
What you’ll need:
- Rosemary (optional)
- 240ml / one cup water
- 16tbsp / one cup sugar
- 375ml fresh grapefruit juice (not from concentrate)
- 330ml sparkling water
- Squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp. CBD
- Sprigs of rosemary
- Grapefruit slices
- To make your simple syrup, add equal parts sugar and water to a pan (about one cup of water to one cup of sugar).
- Stir occasionally until sugar is dissolved.
- One the sugar is dissolved, take off the heat and leave to stand for 30 minutes with the lid on. If you’d like, you can add a sprig of rosemary to infuse in your syrup. You could also add a vanilla pod.
- Once cooled, remove your rosemary and/or vanilla and decant your syrup into a jar.
- Now time for your mocktail! Fill your glasses with ice, and split your grapefruit juice into two glasses, adding a squeeze of lemon to both.
- Add simple syrup to your own tastes, starting off with 2 tablespoons per glass and adding more as needs be. You can store your leftover syrup in an airtight bottle or jar in the fridge for 3-4 weeks.
- Stir to combine or shake in a cocktail shaker if you have one on hand.
- Once your syrup and citrus juices are combined, add a few drops of your favourite CBD oil. Top off with sparkling water, and garnish with a sprig of rosemary and a slice of grapefruit.
Cranberry Orange CBD Punch
Enjoy Christmas that little bit longer with festive flavours, like this cranberry and orange mocktail – complete with CBD, to make Dry January a little bit less grim. This is the easiest out of the bunch and requires no cooking whatsoever. This recipe makes two CBD drinks, so alter measurements depending on the size of your glasses and how many people you’re serving.
What you’ll need:
- 100ml fresh orange juice (not from concentrate)
- 100ml cranberry juice
- 100ml Sparkling water (sweetened or unsweetened)
- 1 Tsp. CBD
- Orange slices
- Mint sprigs
- Fill two glasses with ice, and fill up a third of the way with orange juice. Add a few drops of CBD oil per glass.
- Pour your cranberry juice on top, until its about ⅔ full.
- Top off with sparkling water, and stir or shake to combine. Alternatively, leave your punch unstirred/unshaken for a ‘sunset’ finish.
- Garnish with orange slices or a few sprigs of mint, and you’re ready to serve.
If you enjoyed this article, you may also enjoy our article on CBD Lollipops, a delicious treat that can be savoured at any time of the day.